Friday, June 25, 2010

Agra & the Taj Mahal

I took the train back to Delhi and spent one night there before leaving for Agra: home of a lot of beautiful monuments, including the Taj Mahal. I love driving around India, because there are enormous statues of the Hindu gods, in the most random places. I'm especially fond of the Ganesh's and Hanuman-ji's. I spent two nights in Agra and went to Agra Fort and Akbar's Mausoleum. Both were just breathtaking and beautiful. Akbar's Mausoleum is built out of redstone and marble and uses both Hindu and Muslim elements of design. I also loved Agra Fort...it was so much more interesting to me than the Red Fort in Delhi. And of course, I saved the best for last: the Taj Mahal. I was right there at 6am when the gates opened and seeing it in person is just as amazing as you think it will be. I was a little worried it had been built up that it wouldn't seem as impressive, but it's even more awe-inspiring in person. And there weren't that many people there so I was able to get some pictures with hardly anyone in them. Unheard of! 









Akbar's Mausoleum




Darling kids I played with at Agra Fort.



1 comment: