Sunday, June 6, 2010

Shimla: day 2

      Today I went up to Kufri, which is about 19 km out of Shimla, and did some horseback riding to Mahasu Peak, which is the tallest peak in Shimla. It actually felt more like a pony ride because the mountain horses are so small and the horse-handler leads the horse up the track. At the top of the peak, they have telecopes and you can actually see the Himalayas. The Himachali people traditionally use yaks for their milk and wool so at the top of the peak, they have yaks you can sit on and have your picture taken. They also have traditional red woolen clothing, as well as a cowboy-type hat, and a rifle to put on. I don't get it, but everyone was lining up en masse to have their pictures taken. It was hilarious to see because everyone tried to pull these tough-guy faces. Nowow I kind of wished I had done it. I mean, when else, will I ever be able to have my picture taken with a rifle and a yak?

     Next I went to Jakhu Temple, which is dedicated to Hanuman, the monkey god. His little relatives, rhesus macque monkeys, own the place. As soon as we parked, they jumped on the car and started peering in the windows. They're really aggressive and will steal anything if you aren't careful. I saw one steal a guy's sunglasses right off his face. The temple actually rents walking sticks for 5 rupees to ward them off.You're not supposed to look them in the eye, smile, or show your teeth as they take it as a challenge. So we all looked really demure and shy as we walked, eyes down, not talking or laughing.  I have to admit, I was tense the whole time. You have to climb up a long flight of narrow stairs and monkeys line both sides of the stairs. Many of them had young babies, so they were especially protective. I got hissed at more than a few times and I kept expecting one to launch itself onto my back at any moment.





Up at the temple was a photo-wallah who would take your photo with traditional Himachal clothing and jewelry. I was asking my driver, Prem, a few questions about Himachali culture and he took that to mean I wanted my photo taken. "No, no," I said, "no photo." "Yes, yes, don't be modest - you need photo." And before I knew it, I was wrapped in red wool and holding a basket of fake flowers. And the result is this lovely photo:


He asked if he could use it for his advertising. Umm yeah, this ain't gonna help you sell anything, brother.

 I tried to move into a more natural pose, and he kept tilting my head back at that awkward angle and positioning my hands just so. The digital watch kind of throws it off, doesn't it? I so would rather have had the yak and rifle photo. As a sidenote, he and many other people here, tell me that I am "very long" because I tower over all of them. I like that phrase better than "tall...it sounds so much nicer than tall or amazon. 

The rest of the day I walked and around and explored Shimla. Then relaxed in my sitting room and enjoyed the music festival. As I was sitting there, a huge thunderstorm rolled in and the power suddenly went out. The entire city, and I know because I can see it from my window, lost power. And, the music suddenly stopped too. Fortunately for me, I always travel with a headlamp or I don't know what I would have done.

                                                                  
                                       Christ Church: second oldest church in India

                                                    View from my hotel room.


                                                                Me and a fan.

4 comments:

  1. I love the photo with the fake flowers...so great! Too bad you missed out on the yak photo op...that is hilarious! The monkey thieves would have freaked me out! And since my natural instinct is to smile when I am nervous, I certainly would not have fared well on that staircase...

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA HA HA!!!! Love that pic with you and the flowers! So funny! Glad he made you take it. (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Corinne on the pic, =) Perhaps new FB profile pix?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shimla is wonderful place for yak riding. You can easily visit the whole scenario of surrounding with this riding. You can make your tour in same way from http://bit.ly/2ypISus here. The place is giving you full satisfaction during your tour that make your weekend special then ever. This place is full of excitement and activities that you could perform to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete